Super Robot Wars Alpha, is part of the Super Robot Wars franchise, and was published for the PlayStation by Banpresto in 2000. Super Robot Wars Alpha is the initial game of the Alpha series, which spans the PlayStation and the PlayStation 2 platforms.
Chronologically, Super Robot Wars Alpha is directly followed by Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden. The series continues on the PlayStation 2 with the 2nd Super Robot Wars Alpha and concludes with the 3rd Super Robot Wars Alpha. Super Robot Wars Alpha is the first Super Robot Wars to feature fully animated attacks. Super Robot Wars Alpha introduces the "Skill Point" (localized as "Battle Mastery") system, where decisions made in and out of battle can affect the game's difficulty and the player's chances of receiving and unlocking more powerful units and items.
In the year 179 of the New Western Calendar, the One Year War breaks out between the Earth Federation and the Principality of Zeon, but is halted when an object crashes to Earth, landing on South Atalia Island. An investigative team from the Extra-Over Technological Investigative Institute discovers the object is an alien battleship with highly-advanced technology. Despite the warnings of Dr. Bian Zoldark, the Federation hides the evidence of intelligent, extraterrestrial life, and uses the time to increase their military power. Bian founds the Divine Crusaders to utilize the Extra-Over Technology found on the ship to devise weapons capable of protecting the Earth from alien forces, should the planet become embroiled in a conflict.
During this time, economic troubles caused by the Federation's buildup sees the rise of many anti-Federation movements, such as the Neo-Zeon, who had retreated to the asteroid Axis. In response, the Federation establishes special forces units, such as the Titans and OZ. Other forces, such as the Demon Empire (from Brave Raideen) and Dr. Hell also threaten the Earth, but are pushed back by the teams of Mazinger Z, Getter Robo, and Raideen.
In the year 186, the Excelion battleship (from Gunbuster) battle a force of STMCs (Space Terrible Monster Crowd) when they are suddenly attacked by another alien fleet, known as the Aerogaters...
From this point on, the player can select from either a super robot or a real robot storyline, putting the player in command of the Grungust Type-2 or the Huckebein MK II, respectively.
Super Robot Wars Alpha allows the player to create their own character, giving them a name and birthdate, and selecting from 8 characters: four male and four female, The player then chooses another template and name for the character's significant other, as well as one of four personalities: "cool and nihilistic", "shy", "weird" or "hot-blooded", to apply a voice during combat. In the Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation series, these templates for the protagonist and his or her significant other becomes the basis for the following characters:
- Kusuha Mizuha: Considered the canonical pilot of the Grungust Type-2 and RyuKoOh. Adopts the "shy" female archetype in Original Generation.
- Brooklyn Luckfield: Considered the canonical pilot of the Huckebein MK II and KoRyuOh. The "hot-blooded" male archetype in Original Generation.
- Ryoto Hikawa: Considered the canonical pilot of the Huckebein MK III. Takes the "shy" male archetype in Original Generation.
- Rio Mei Long: Considered the canonical pilot of the AM Gunner. Carries the "hot-blooded" female archetype in Original Generation.
- Tasuku Shinguji: Adopts the "weird" male archetype in Original Generation.
- Leona Garstein: The "cool and nihilistic" female archetype in Original Generation.
- Yuuki Jaggar: Takes the "cool and nihilistic" male archetype in Original Generation.
- Ricarla Borgnine: Carries the "weird" female archetype in Original Generation.
The completely new fully animated fight scenes. Graphic capacity 10 times larger than its predecessor.
- "Macross," "The day the earth stood still Giant Robot" and other new character race!
- Double Branch System, Quarter view maps, many new systems such as adopting a hero point system.
- Contains many scenes of full-poly new robots
- Complete demonstration.
- Third person perspective.
- 2D graphics
- Cartoon graphics
- SCI-FI, Futuristic & Anime themes.